My Virtual Garden Cat especially for my sisters and daughter

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Day 2 at The Central Ohio Home and Garden Show

I am so glad that we live within an hour's drive of the Ohio Expo Center in Columbus, Ohio. Thanks to Kylee at Our Little Acre, we were able to make a second visit to the Central Ohio Home and Garden Show this year. We spent the majority of our time checking out more of the gardens continuing to look for spring. We started by looking for bulbs in the display gardens. My favorite spring bulb is the daffodil, so we were on a mission. Since it was the last weekend of the show, the daffodils were rather spent and not in their usual glory. So, off we went in search of my next favorite bulb, the hyacinth. Most of these flowers still looked pretty good and still had their fragrance. Oh the signs of spring. We finally found it!

Here are some pictures of bulbs in bloom at this show.























Over to Roger Seely's garden we went. Roger owns Seely's Landscape Nursery in Hilliard, Ohio. His nursery carries quite an extensive collection of hostas, dwarf conifers and Japanese Maples. At the show we saw a Japanese Maple that made me go WOW! The entire trunk was red with red branches. Talk about winter interest.

This is what I mean. The WOW factor!
Acer Palmatum Sango Kaku





There was even a barn that added a countryside feel to the garden.





Another interesting plant was the Whipcord Western Red Cedar.


The Pom Pom Pine



A table bed of herbs




A border of pink begonias


This gets my vote for best azalea blooms at the show.



Fountains a flowing



Then, a highlight of a different nature. I am not sure if I ever mentioned that my husband and I are both long-time BUCKEYE fans, so meeting Craig Krenzel at the show was that extra bonus. Craig helped lead the Buckeyes to victory in the 2002 National Championship game against the University of Miami. Oh, my husband walked away with a hat autographed by Craig. Flowers and a Buckeye...What a successful show!



Going to these shows gives you an opportunity to be around other gardeners who also love to talk about plants. As you listen to conversations, you can tell who has a passion for gardening. As we were checking out the gardens, we meet another couple who are also garden bloggers. We exchanged our blog addresses and are now connected by our interest in gardening. You can check out their blog at illic est haud equus quoque mortuus barruo.


3 comments:

Sheila said...

It looks like you had a good time! Thanks for sharing those lovely photos of spring bulbs. Very inspiring!

Rosie Nixon Fluerty said...

ah you met up with Jim - I read his post about the show so I was interested to see your photos too as there was another fellow Blotanical at it who posted photos aswell. The only display I had seen already was that 2nd last fountain one - it must have been impressive for 3 different garden bloggers to have taken the same photo. Weclome to Blotanical.

Jim Groble said...

Thank you so much for the shout out. it was a pleasure meeting you and your husband. jim